10-12 Aug 2019 : Mystical Nilgiris - Visit 2 tribal villages, and experience local art and handicraft (3- Day Travel Package) - Ex Bengaluru
Truly Discover the Nilgiris
Dates: 10th Aug - 12th Aug, 2019, Ex Bengaluru
Option 1: Transport Included - Transport, meals, tours and accommodation included
- Option 2: Drive yourself - Meals, tours and accommodation included. Transport not included.
Discover India right from the roots! We bring to you a never before experience that will let you interact with people from different walks of life and a chance to delve into their lifestyle and culture. This 3-day travel experience will let you explore the Nilgiris in its truest form. The Nilgiris, known as the 'Blue Mountains' for its bluish hue in their fine natural setting is a hill District of Tamil Nadu State, in South India. A meeting point of two mountains and of people belonging to different languages and culture.
- 6 am: Meet at The Better India Office , 4th Floor, 74, Prestige Feroze Building, Cunningham Rd, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560052.(Option 1 guests only)
- Drive towards Coonoor. (320 kms, 9- 10 hours including breakfast & lunch stop) (Option 1 guests only)
- Breakfast and lunch will be pre-plated meals (Option 1 guests only)
- 4pm: Arrive in Coonoor by late afternoon.
- Check-in at the guest house and freshen up.
- 4:30pm 7pm: Visit one of the best tea estates in the Nilgiris and visit a tea store and a cafe.
- 8:30 pm: Enjoy buffet dinner at the hotel and get a good night's rest.
Meeting the Toda Tribes
The Todas, a primitive tribe of the Nilgiris are a unique community with their peculiar style of dressing and houses built in a unique half barrel-shaped bamboo found nowhere else on the subcontinent. The Todas lead for the most part a simple pastoral life and are known to practice polyandry. They depend on the buffaloes and the buffalo products- milk, butter and ghee until the middle of the 20th century. All their rituals also revolve around their dairy production. Todas are commonly called as 'Todavas', which is a Tamil term for herdsman. They were the unquestioned rulers of the Nilgiris in the early centuries and have caught the attention of generations of visitors and settlers of the hills with their long, curly hair and toga - like costume.
- 8 am: Freshen up in the morning and assemble for Breakfast (Buffet breakfast)
- 9 am: Leave the Hotel and head to the Toda Village
- Enter Toda tribal village with a traditional welcome.
- 1:30 pm to 2:30 PM: Picnic lunch from the Hotel
- 2:30 pm: Visit another Toda village nestled in the meadows. Meet and interact with the Todas and visit a Toda Temple.
- 7 pm: Return to the guest house.
- 8 PM: Dinner and Overnight stay at the Hotel.
- Total driving distance is 110 km from Hotel to Toda villages and back
Meeting the Kurumbas
Their existence is limited to the middle belt of the Nilgiris but is found in the Wayanad with a slight sprinkling in the Nilambur and Attapadi hills of Malabar. The Kurumbas find means of living according to their geographical settings. 'Palu Kurumbas' are a pastoral community that makes their living by grazing cows or sheep and exchanging milk for other things. 'Jenu Kurumbas'- the honey Collectors, have unique talents of extracting honey from the rocks and huge trees of the forest. The 'Mullu Kurumbas' are those who cleared a patch of land around their village and grew tenne, millet and greens and the 'Kadu Kurumbas' are those who collect jungle produce, like honey, resin, wood etc that they barter with low country traders.
- 8 AM: Breakfast at the hotel (Buffet Breakfast)
- 9 AM: Leave the Hotel and head to the start point of the trek.
- Start trekking through tea gardens and the forest.
- Hike to the Kurumba village and meet a Kurumba artist who specializes in Kurumba painting.
- Demo and hands-on experience of Kurumba style painting done using natural pigments.
- 1 PM to 2:30 PM: Picnic lunch at the Kurumba village
- Head to the vehicle boarding point (Option 1 guests only)
- Departure from Nilgiris.(Option 1 guests only)
Driving distance from Hotel to Kurumba village and back to hotel is 100 Kms. Drive back to Better India office will be additional 320 KM.
Mystical Nilgiris [2 Nights 3 Days] - INR 20125 per person
For Option 1 (All inclusive) - Transport from Bangalore to Nilgiris and back in a AC Tempo Traveller.
- All toll, taxes and interstate permits, presenter fees.
- Local English Speaking Tour Presenter in the Nilgiris.
- Twin sharing Accommodation in Neemrana Wallwood Garden, Coonoor (or equivalent accommodation at a hotel of similar class if the former is not available).
- All meals and experiences as mentioned in the itinerary.
- Transport services not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Extra services like laundry, wellness, spa.
- Alcoholic Beverages.
- Other services not mentioned in the itinerary.
- 50% if cancelled / amended 30 days in advance.
- 100% if cancelled / amended 15 days in advance or later.
- Credit/Debit card cancellations will be charged 5% extra.
- Refund shall be made under following conditions:
- Booking was cancelled.
- Booking was not delivered to the recipient. (This does not include the case for unfounded recipient)
- If there is any complaint regarding the quality of the services, we will inquire about the same and if it is found to be true, the customer will get a full or partial refund.
- A refund can only be requested in case of service failure; our team will evaluate if a booking qualifies for a refund and the decision of our management will be final.
- No refund shall be made for unutilised services in a curated experience.
Feel free to contact email@example.com for any further queries