Product name: Black/ Off-white Small Floral Giftbox Handmade by Women Artisans
Package contents: 1 Black/ Off-white Small Floral Giftbox Handmade by Women Artisans
Dimensions (cms): 15cms x 13cms x 8cms
Materials: Cardboard, Handmade paper and Dry Flowers
This beautiful, eco-friendly box is adorned with pressed, dried petals from discarded flowers. It is a multi-purpose box that is great for gifting sweets, chocolates and dry fruits, or for storing jewellery, accessories or other knick-knacks.
These products have been painstakingly crafted by a collective of women in the Ghazipur slum community who formerly worked as waste-pickers. The women are trained in embroidery, stitching and delicate floral art, thereby giving them the skills they need to become financially self-sufficient. Some of the women are employed in a women-run centre in East Ghazipur where they make these unique and useful products. The making of these products transforms these women from waste-pickers into skilled artisans and provides them a safe, dignified and sustainable livelihood.
This product uses eco-friendly materials like discarded flowers and recycled paper. It thus saves virgin paper and keeps hundreds of tons of used flowers from being dumped in the garbage or thrown into water bodies.
This is more than just a beautifully crafted product. Its making has helped upskill and provide alternative employment and a stable income to more than 100 underprivileged women who were formerly engaged in waste-picking. It empowers them to move out of a life of poverty, illness and uncertainty into a life of respect and economic self-reliance.
Gulmeher is a women’s collective of waste-pickers turned artisans that is committed to the green agenda and believes that creating beautiful products can go hand in hand with environmental and social development.
We are demonstrating a sustainable social enterprise business model, centred around a women’s group in the Ghazipur slum community. At Gulmeher, we strive to provide an alternative and sustainable livelihood by creating eco-friendly products using discarded flowers and recycled paper. Our commitment is to provide a dignified livelihood by transforming waste-pickers into artisans, and it gives us the iron will to work tirelessly to grow Gulmeher.
Where it began
– Established in 2013 to provide alternative livelihood for women waste-pickers.
Making Lives Better
– 120 women trained into skilled artisans
– 35 women given employment in the East Ghazipur center
– Up-skilled 20 women in the craft of embroidery & stitching
– 7,000 kilograms of paper recycled
– Approx 120 trees saved by using recycled paper.
– 15 tons of discarded flowers re-used
– Training and employing of at-risk women.
– Cycle of giving is completed by implementing social programs.
– Focus on empowering women through a women-run centre.
– Blending indigenous craft techniques with contemporary designs.
– Delicate floral artwork by arranging dried petals forming intricate patterns.
– Maximising handmade element in our products, encouraging good craftsmanship.
Impact of Your Purchase
– Improves the lives of our artisans by providing a stable income.
– Helps us engage the community through education, health & financial inclusion programs.
– Supports environmental sustainability
More Products from Gulmeher